Together for Good – a community approach to wellbeing
How can churches build a community approach to wellbeing and positive mental health? Livability are launching ‘Together for Good’ – a new, free resource designed to provide churches with Bible Studies and group exercises exploring the themes of happiness, meaning and wellbeing.
It’s written and produced with wellbeing expert Dr Andy Parnham and Corin Pilling, Deputy Director of Public Engagement. The resource has been designed to support churches grow wellbeing as a basis for good mental health, in their community.
The resource can be used by churches all year round, but may well also be a helpful resource to use during the period of Lent.Download Together for Good
Corin Pilling – Deputy Director for Community Engagement at Livability said: “At Livability, we are passionate about resourcing churches in the vital part they can play in supporting people to live well. All churches are places where people give and serve whilst juggling the pressures of life. It’s vital we take regular time to reflect on our approach if we expect to flourish.
That’s why we’ve launched Together for Good. It’s a five week course to help churches grow a community approach to wellbeing and happiness. The material explores how our individual choices and life together can impact our wellbeing. Together for Good offers a fresh perspective on Jesus’ offer of life in all its fullness- resulting in a more resilient and joyful community life.”
How to grow wellbeing– in your church community
Together for Good is a Bible Study course designed to support churches to take a community approach to wellbeing. The course combines bible studies with contemporary research and is designed with lent study groups in mind.
Why do the course? Growing supportive communities
- When people are part of a supportive community, with good connections, their wellbeing can thrive.
- Using contemporary models of wellbeing together with theological content, the course explores how our attitudes and actions impact our wellbeing.
- The course helps churches grow a shared approach to wellbeing and happiness, helping us to look at the choices we can make to help build stronger connections that can benefit us all.
What does the course cover?
- Together for Good is a course which explores 5 key topics: Abundant Life, Keys to Success, Richer Relationships, Creating Community and Finding Meaning.
- The title comes from Romans 8:28: ‘And we know that in all things God works together with those who love him to bring about what is good’ (NIV). The picture of life we’re offered in the Bible shows us that our wellbeing is tied into that of others too.
How does the course work?
The studies can be used alone or in groups, offering a chance to discuss and prayerfully reflect on what’s most important in life. The course helps each church take a fresh step to become the community that God is calling it to be.
Growing Happiness – take the next step
The content of the new series is inspired by Livability’s Happiness Course, which every year helps 100s of churches build new connections in their neighbourhoods. The Happiness Course trains leaders to open up a conversation to the whole community, exploring how we can all build lives that grow our wellbeing, through meaning and connection. Doing ‘Together for Good’ is a helpful precursor to people considering doing The Happiness Course.Download Together for Good
Upcoming Happiness Training course dates can be found here.
Together for Good is the follow up resource to Lifting the Lid (6 Bible Studies exploring God’s heart for Mental Health).